KONTAN.CO.ID - JAKARTA. - Elon Musk said on Friday that social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, will soon launch two new tiers of premium subscriptions. "One is lower cost with all features, but no reduction in ads, and the other is more expensive but has no ads," Musk said in a post on X. Musk, who took over the platform in October 2022, has been trying to boost revenue by charging users and by wooing back advertisers, who stopped buying ads after Musk fired most employees and disbanded content moderation teams.
Musk has acknowledged that the platform has taken a hit on revenue and has blamed activists for pressuring advertisers. Baca Juga: Elon Musk Says X Will Strip Ability to Block Accounts While he did not provide more details on the subscription plans, a test case by X earlier this week suggested several restrictions for users who don't want to pay for the service. X started charging new users $1 in New Zealand and the Philippines as a test case for accessing the platform. New users who opted out of subscribing will only be able to take "read-only" actions, such as reading posts, watching videos, and following accounts, the company said on its website. The platform's "Not A Bot" subscription method aims to reduce spam, manipulation of the platform, and bot activity. Other big tech companies have also experimented with a mix of ad-supported and subscription plans. While Alphabet's GOOGL.O Youtube has both paid and free, ad-supported ones, Netflix's NFLX.O ad-supported plans are also chargeable, though at a smaller price tag. Baca Juga: Elon Musk Borrowed $1 bln From SpaceX in Same Month of Twitter Deal